About me and my work
I am an artist and a maker using glass as the main medium to materialise my thoughts. I specialise in architectural glass installations, mainly commissions for both public and private locations against specific briefs.
After spending 23 years working at the accounting department of a large industrial corporation in Italy I moved to England in 1996 and started teaching myself traditional techniques such as painting on glass. Since then, I have extended my artistic practice in architectural glass further through experimentation and I have now developed a reputation for producing original and innovative works in diverse locations.
Today I enjoy the freedom of using a mix of techniques, traditional or cutting edge, as well as digital technology to interpret my designs.
Each of my glass commissions is unique and is informed by, amongst other things, the ethos, function and aspect of the building, the budget and location.
My Creative Approach
Glass is a seductive material in itself and it is its intrinsic qualities, plus the constant interplay with light that spur my creativity.
I like to create works that have texture, are multi-layered and that you discover gradually or in different ways according to how they are viewed and under different light conditions.
Sometimes ideas have distant origins, and they become clearer as the work progress; other times the work is a response to a personal need to expose feelings.
It is my ambition to be continually searching for new technical and creative challenges and to develop my work in a more abstract and 3-dimensional direction, seeking a balance between the aesthetic qualities of the medium and its inherent qualities such as transparency, fragility and reflectivity.
Often making is a way of coping with everyday life.
- 2006 – 2007: BA Fine Art – Plymouth University – Exeter Campus
- 2004 – 2006: Foundation Degree Fine Art – Somerset College – Taunton
- 2001 – 2003: Foundation Diploma Art & Design – Somerset College – Taunton
- Appointed as a Mentor to other Architectural Glass Artists by the Contemporary Glass Society in 2010
- Elected as an Associate of the British Society of Master Glass Painters in 2005
- Member of the Devon Guild of Craftsmen since 1998
- 2010: Winner of The Stevens Architectural Glass Competition 2010 awarded by the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
- 2009: Contemporary Craft Fellowship – Professional planning and development bursary. Awarded by Crafts Council, Arts Council South West and ArtsMatrix.
- 2009: Selected for the Artist Access to Art Colleges Scheme (hosted by Plymouth College of Art)
- 2007: Winner of The Stevens Architectural Glass Competition 2007 awarded by the Worshipful Company of Glaziers
- 2004: Judged “Best Glass in Show” at The Contemporary Craft Fair, Bovey Tracey
- 2004: Winner of The David Canter Memorial Fund for glass
RESIDENCIES & CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
- 2015: “Introduction to 3D design using Rhino CAD” course at Plymouth College of Art
- 2015: Made@EU Workshop at Plymouth College of Art
- 2013: “Working the Surface – Texture, Detail, Stories and Patterns” Northlands Creative Glass – Masterclass with Deborah Cocks
- 2008: Kiln Forming & Kiln Casting Residency at Northlands Creative Glass, Lybster
- 2006: “Keeping True to Your Vision” – Glass painting Masterclass under the tutelage of Mark Angus at The International Glass Centre, Dudley
- 2005: “Creative Insights” – Glass Casting Masterclass under the tutelage of Tessa Clegg
PUBLIC COMMISSIONS & MAJOR PRIVATE COMMISSIONS:
- 2015: St. Mary’s Church, Whitelackington – Memorial Window
- 2014: St. Bedes’s RC School, Blackburn – Window, entrance screen and glass panels for Prayer Room
- 2013: Window for private residence
- 2012: Window for private residence
- 2011: Glass installation for private residence
- 2011: Salisbury District Hospital New Children’s Unit – Installation of glass artworks in main reception area (collaborative project with Michelle Keeling)
- 2010: Internal glazed dividing wall for private residence
- 2009: Yeovil Hospital, Somerset – Window for Multi-faith Chapel
- 2008/09: Peninsula Dental School, Plymouth – Glass installation for entrance foyer
- 2008: Wandsworth Acute Unit, St. Georges NHS Mental Health Trust, London – Design of glass manifestations
- 2007/08: Series of 8 windows for a private residence
- 2007: Yeovil Hospital, Somerset – Glass installations in Kingston Wing
- 2006: Internal screen for private residence
- 2005: Musgrove Hospital, Taunton – Stained glass window for the Bereavement Room
COLLABORATION WITH OTHER STUDIOS & ARTISTS:
I have worked with some of the leading European architectural glass design and conservation studios, including Proto Studios and Holy Well Glass in the UK as well as Derix Glasstudios in Germany.
I also worked with Michelle Keeling for the design, production and installation of the “Fishtank” feature in the Children’s Unit Reception Area at Salisbury District Hospital.